« Home | I witnessed history in the making...... » | I can't believe it! » | Hmmm..... » | NO POO!?!?!?! » | I am like Galadriel! » | I'm done! » | Burn Notice » | How do we do it? » | Aw CRAP! » | I am so excited! I can't wait! »

I am an introvert

This is put so elequently at Crazy Dust in My Coffee. I hope it helps many of the extroverts in my life understand that I am not a snob.

Introversion

"Remember, someone you know, respect, and interact with every day is an introvert, and you are probably driving this person nuts."

~ Jonathan Rauch



I am an introvert.

This means that I prefer to be by myself. It’s not that I can’t or won’t talk with other people, it’s just that to recharge my batteries I need lots of time away from people. In solitude and quiet self-reflection. Alone.

This does not mean that I am weird or strange. It just means that I process information differently than extroverts do. Introverts think then speak, while extroverts think while speaking. It’s that simple.

This does not mean that I don’t care about others. It just means that hearing about the details of day-to-day existence for someone else tires me, so I don’t clamor to hear about someone else's life. Hence, you’ll get very few phone calls and very little chitchat from me. People wear me out.

This does not mean that I never socialize and that I am shy. It just means that I prefer smaller groups of people over larger groups of people. When faced with parties and big church-y events I tend to fade into the background and/or get very quiet because I feel uncomfortable with all the movement and shallow talking that is going on around me. I get tired.

And finally, this does not mean that I am aloof or haughty. It just means that I look at things more deeply and then measure my words more slowly than extroverts. In reality, I’m the flexible, independent, responsible, creative and reflective soul who sits on the curb watching the parade go by, cheering the extroverts on, trying to make sense of it all. . . and wondering when I’ll be able to get back home to recharge.

Labels:

Hey, Karen! I could have written this message myself! Have you ever taken the Introvert/Extrovert test? It is really interesting, and I have the book here at home.

I am your polar opposite.

I envy intraverts. It would be so nice to not have to rely on people to recharge and feel at your best.

It is obvious from your post that introverts feel the same sting of judgment from the extroverts as we feel from your crowd.

At the end of the day, it seems like we have a lot of the same issues and needs, just as you said, we go about it differently.

At times I envy extroverts. At parties especially... I know I should be having fun... In fact, I thoroughly enjoy watching others have fun and being their extroverted selves. All my best friends (and husband actually) are Leos i.e. extroverts. I think they often get irritated because I don't want to join in.

You phrased all that perfectly. It's so true!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm ~Plain Jane~
  • From Sunnyvale, California, United States
My profile

Links

~PlainJane's~ Wishlist
www.kaboodle.com